Sunday, October 12, 2008

McGowan Falls

The last glacial period some 10,000 years ago (I'm guessing) has flattened Southern Ontario and most of the riding you find around here is just that - flat. But, the scenery is still beautiful - rolling farmland, copses of trees in fall color, quaint farm towns, and interesting geological formations are all yours to discover here in Ontario. Even if what's rolling beneath your tires isn't interesting the scenery is pleasant.

Yesterday, I took a ride up north. I've been wanting to do the .Grey County Waterfall Tour since I read about it last year in the paper. The closest waterfall, McGowan - is about three hours away from my house. I haven't managed to get a full day to get up there and do all of the waterfalls. Yesterday, I managed to get to the first one.

The directions are clear and stated this first one was in a Conservation Area. Ontario has some really nice Conservations Areas that are just pockets of nature set aside for low impact use like hiking and birding. When I looked at the map and found this one was located in the heart of Durham, I had my doubts. I found my way to the falls and yes they are pretty - it's just not a conservation area that I'd had imagined. Just ignore the neighborhood across the street and you'll get the idea.

The falls are pretty and nice to photograph. I'll come back this way again when I have more time and try and visit the other waterfalls on the tour.

McGowan Falls Sign

McGowan Falls Creek

Pond at McGowan Falls

No comments: